Dental implants are becoming the preferred choice of missing teeth for many. The procedure involves a replacement root for the tooth that has to be removed and an artificial tooth attached to it. You can get a tooth fixed permanently to these roots or opt for removable teeth in the form of a denture that snap into the implant fixtures like a button. Some of the benefits of such implants are as follows.
- They maintain the natural look of your teeth. Today’s technology allows the implants to fuse with the bone - so there is an integration rather than a foreign body reaction.
- Implants cannot get cavities but they still require a good amount of care. Regular visits to dentists are encouraged to ensure that they are clean and in good condition. The dentist will clean and take care of the replacements just the way it is done for natural teeth.
- Dental implants last longer than bridges and are sometimes even less costly. With proper care, they are a one-time investment, unlike bridges which require replacements regularly. Take care of them the way you take care of normal teeth by brushing and flossing regularly.
- Unlike bridges, implants help to prevent bone loss, as they act as a natural tooth roots that in effect stimulate the bone each time you bite down. After time, in the case of a bridge, the gum and bone where the tooth was removed can deteriorate, leaving the anchoring teeth of the bridge unsupported and open for infection.
- Implants are also more comfortable and do not impair speech the way bridges can. On top of that, they do not have the embarrassing habit of slipping like dentures and you can smile as much as you want. Soon they will become such a part of you that you will not even realize that they are artificial.
- An implant supported denture will also allow you to taste your food better as the inside (palate) and outside plastic are cut away leaving only the denture teeth above the implants. This looks and feels a lot like natural teeth.
- Implants are a lot easier to maintain and the components can usually be replaced if anything should go wrong. They do not require special adhesives to hold them in place and you do not have to remove them at night. These conveniences alone save a lot of time, money and worry!
As with any dental procedure, it is important to ensure that you’ve had a full evaluation to determine the best course of action for your needs. If you are in the Rocklin / Roseville area and are looking for a new dentist or simply a second opinion, please call us!